5436 Peru St. #1
AMRA MISSION STATEMENT
To work on behalf of military retirees and their families, to protect their rights and
YOU HAVE EARNED MEMBERSHIP IN AMRA through your military service.
Together we will ensure that the health care and pension promises made to you don’t disappear because no one is watching.
Eligibility: Military Retirees, Disabled (T & P), Medically Retired, Surviving Spouses.
TOP AMRA RECRUITER TO EARN $500
AMRA: WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
AMRA also offers a competitive college scholarship program available to
Affordable Life Membership rates are a great deal, especially if you are using ASI supplemental insurances which require AMRA membership…one less thing for you to think about as the Life Member fee will maintain your membership for the rest of your life.
AMRA Can Help… Here’s Why:
1. If you live near a base you can visit the Retirees Services Office… but sadly, they may be short of volunteers and closed when you might need them.
2. Your local County Veterans Service office may help, but their expertise may be in benefits and programs from the Department of Veterans Affairs, not military retiree benefits.
3. Service Newsletters will inform…if they have a mailing budget; many have gone to email only. Moreover, mail for Snowbirds may be returned, or discarded (if it’s sent third-class mail to save $).
4. If you’re near a base and your schedule and mobility allow, you can attend Retiree Activity Days (when they have a budget for one). If you’re not near a base, how will you hear about similar events?
5. You can hunt for retiree information in other group publications …but most focus on veterans issues…not retiree issues, which won’t help you get the answers you need.
6. You can wait for someone to forward you an email …and then spend half a day on the internet trying to validate it or being put on “hold” with the appropriate agency.
At AMRA, we know that every one of our nation’s two million military retirees is unique. Some, who have the luxury of benefits from a “second career,” have a larger economic cushion than others. The majority, however, do not have as many resources; their pensions, entitlements and survivor benefits are crucial. Many moved upon retirement and are no longer living near a military installation, or their base was closed; over time this puts them at a disadvantage. “Gray Area” retirees, Guard and Reserve retirees not yet collecting their pensions, often move on to other careers; again, time and location work against them when trying to keep up on retiree information. Retirees with limited mobility and/or without internet access have limited access to information. Sadly, every month, AMRA HQ gets calls that a member has passed away. Invariably, the surviving spouse is not only unprepared for this eventuality, but is unfamiliar with the agencies which need to be contacted.
Many military retirees assume that their retiree benefits and entitlements are set in stone. Sadly, this is far from true. The GI Bill, TRICARE health care options and even how military retirements are calculated are all being examined as “fat” to be trimmed. As a result of the current military situation, Congress’s attention to “fresh” veterans sometimes benefits us “seasoned” veterans as programs are added or expanded; sometimes not. Where can you find out which changes apply to retirees, surviving spouses or the 100% disabled/medically retired?
Why should you get your info from AMRA? Military retirees need to keep a foot in both worlds- retiree and veteran- but that takes a lot of time and research. We pride ourselves in working to get the news right from the horse’s mouth- not from hearsay. We sincerely hope that you’ll find that the pages of AMRA News, as well as the items in AMRA eNEWS are correct, informative, up to date, and written with the retiree’s perspective in mind. At the very least, what you read here is guaranteed to be a jumping-off place guaranteed to give you the ammunition you need to “go get ‘em” when you need to interface with other agencies and groups. Yes, as a military retiree you and your needs are unique, and that’s why we’re on duty watching the horizon for you… Face it, you did your time!